Friday, June 09, 2006

C (See) for Color ...

A question for all you guys & gals ... How would you describe different colors to a blind man ? big deal ??? Its not something that you can smell, not something you can hear or touch or feel ... Its just something you can see ... only with your eyes ... I mean .. whats red, whats blue ? ... all you ppl (including me), who can see - heres the question - define : any color ! choose red as a representative .. define : red ... or just imagine a kid asking you this question .. what would you say to him ?

Remember :

1. Dont use any other color to define a color (e.g. You cant say green is something you get when you mix blue with yellow (I hope the combi is right) - thats deadlock)

2. Dont use any object to describe a color (e.g. You cant say red is the color of blood .. come on)

3. Dont use any color palette / rgb mechanism (e.g. red = (255,0,0) is not allowed .. This one is esp for my fellow software engineers ...)

Yeah .. try googling that !! 'define : red' ( oops .. please read that as msn searching ... I keep forgetting I am in MS now ;) ..)

I know some of you might say this is ridiculous ... its like asking define "1" or define "2" without using any number/ object ... but then thats what came to my mind and ultimately found its way to this page ...

Anyway, there are so many shades, feelings associated with color ! I mean red is associated with blood,violence,tomatoes,loss, blush, passion and many more ... Makes me think what all is a blind man missing ? Its not only vision - its something much much more grave than that ! Its the identity of everything that he is missing ! What comes to your mind when we say "blood" .. its red ! .. what comes to a blind man's mind when he hears "blood" ? I wonder !!

Why is Apple making each and everything in White ? B'coz they want to be known by that color !! There are so many more examples like that ... Colors play such a big role in our life ... imagine a life without any colors .. and by that I mean NO colors ..( not black and white - thats 2 colors right there !) ... Just one color .. pick one .. say everything would be black around you !! How depressing would that life be !! Can you imagine that ? And we have millions and millions of colors all around us ... each separating itself uniquely from others ... I wonder ...

-----------------------------------

Broadly thinking and taking the liberty to divert from the topic ... well .. colors is not the only thing that a blind person misses ... besides not able to see his loved ones, him/herself, not knowing what beauty is ! ... not even a hint of it ... whats light and whats darkness ? whats a tree and whats a sea .... It all feels so meaningless without seeing it ...

We all saw the movie 'Black' ... It touched me ... especially to see that little girl fight ... how not having the ability to see takes her into a cave of her own ... in a shell ... We all have heard stories of Helen Keller ... Donating eyes is no lesser than giving someone a whole new life, a new identity, a new purpose for life, a new direction, a new beginning ... Eye donation is one of the greatest achievements of modern science ! I have decided that I will donate my eyes on my death ... I encourage you to make that decision as well ..

A few useful links :

Eye Bank Association of America
Eye Bank
Shankara Nethralaya


"The eye is the window to the world, at the same time, it is the window of the soul." - Shakespeare.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home