Sunday, March 26, 2006

The day after tomorrow !

I was chatting with a good friend of mine today and he casually asked me " So whats the plan for tomorrow evening ?" and I was like "dude ! its Monday tomorrow, what special plan can I have on a monday evening ?" ... and then after a second I realized, well, he was talking more in reference to Tuesday ! still dont get it, do you ? Its my 25th birthday on tuesday (March 28) !!! Well, if you had forgotten that (that is only if you knew) or if you didnt know that, dont feel bad .. firstly coz I am reminding you 2 days in advance ! :) and secondly coz even I had forgotten about it myself ...

My friend's question got me thinking. Wow .. 25th birthday ! thats awesome !! I am gonna be 25 in a couple of days !! I am so happy !!! hmm.. wait .. thats no big deal .. to be 25 ? You dont have to do anything to grow up and be 25 ! It just happens !! So what am I so happy about ? about a day which comes every year (& not like once in a lifetime) ? I mean its not like the day when all nine planets are aligned in one line which happens after like once in 1000s of years ... you should be happy if you see that day ! But why am I so happy about this day ?

Dont get me wrong .. I am not sad or depressed in life and I sure do know how to enjoy life.. But I like to be serious/introvert sometimes ... I like, in fact love, all the cake, party, fun stuff (and yes :) the b'day bumps too) but then thats just what we do on a b'day ! Those are the procedures that are attached to this day ... Just for a second, try separating your birthday from all these emotions .. what do you get ? Just another day ? Just another day when a count somewhere is incremented by one (you have to excuse me for being a typical software engineer :) lol ) ! but seriously- what makes you happy on this day apart from the parties that you throw and treats you give & movies you watch ... why celebrate this day ? why not any other day ? I can totally understand when the whole nation celebrates Martin Luther King's b'day or Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru's b'day ! They deserve it ... their work speaks for them .. what have I done to deserve a celebration on my b'day ? To all of you reading this blog, I sincerely urge you to think of an answer to this before going ahead and reading what I wrote ... or even if you think that there is no point of thinking all this .. just comment whatever you feel ..

I asked the same question to myself .. First of all, I was wondering, why did I not ask that question to myself on any of the previous birthdays ? I mean I did have 24 of them already right ? ... I guess I have become more matured now ;) .. whatever you may think, I am gonna take that as an answer to that question and move on ... or I will be just surrounded by questions and no answers whatsoever ... Moving on ...

So is it b'coz of where I am ? U know in United States but so are million others .. Is it my education ? I have done Masters but so have thousand others .. Is it my work ? I am working for Microsoft .. big deal ! so are thousands of others ... I kept on thinking and then it struck me .. It is your day but its not exactly your day ! Its not you who celebrates this day ... I mean you are involved, but mostly its others - people around you - people to whom you matter, your presence matters - They wanna tell you that "Hey thanks for sticking around & being there for me " .. so why should you be happy ? You should be happy coz this day will tell you, 'to how many people you really matter !' I am not talking about how many phone calls you get at midnight or during the day ... I am talking about those genuine voices which make your day ! Thats what makes me happy when I think about my b'day ! I like that explanation that I gave to myself ... I think thats what I feel when I call someone up on their b'days !

You agree / disagree / feel this is bullshit or why are we even having this conversation ? Let me know ...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger ~The Dream Catcher~ said...

I agree, I have always felt the same too, except people thought that my thoughts were too radical.. Its not the day that is important, it never has been to me, its what you are on that day, for urself and others who matter thats so important.

6/03/2006 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Aniruddha said...

Yes ! True .. .. I wasnt expecting any replies on this post for the same reason as you said. Its probably too radical to think like this about something like your own birthday .. but good to see someone who thinks the same !

6/03/2006 12:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home