Monday, December 12, 2005

Change of accent ?

I have been in US for more than 3 years now and I can assure you that my accent has not changed even a single bit especially when talking to a desi (desi is a term for a fellow Indian) ...whatever language it may be .. Hindi / English / Marathi ... I am not surprised at all with that! I dont think its possible to change your accent without you knowing it .. what they call - phasing your accent ! I dont think that can happen ..

I was at WSU, pullman which had very few desi janata so all the time I would communicate with Americans and chinese students / teachers ... I changed my accent a bit (mind you this was on purpose) when talking to Americans as that made the communication a little easier for both of us .. but I dont understand those desis who talk to you in the fake-american (or so they think) made up accent ... they know you can understand Indian accent - you know it as well ! then why the farce ? and these guys insist that their accent has changed over the years staying in US ... whatever ! I meet such guys every now and then & they have hardly spent 2 /3 years in US ..

I was taught English since when I was a kid .. so the accent that I have, has been there with me for last 22 years or so .. how can it change in a mere span of 2 years ?

Your comments are welcome people .. whether you agree with me or not !

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home