Thursday, March 10, 2005

Robots ... ?

Saw this movie 'I, Robot' a few days back.. a really nice movie (of course the animation etc effects are just superb in there !) Will smith & all robots of course are great in the movie .. do watch it if you get time ..

But what made me think is the theme of the movie .. as the movie shows, the machines try to take over the world from humans... this is so very possible ... looking at the current trend of developments in science, I dont think that day is too far away or I would say already at the doorstep knocking !


This has always been one of my favourite topics to discuss ... till 1 st yr engg, I did not have a computer at home and you wont believe I was doing just fine. I had taken 11 & 12th both vocational computer science subject but still I did pretty good both yrs without any computer at home ... but now I just cant think of myself without it ... Its like an obsession for me now.. Its become my 4th primary need. Not only computer for that matter; a cell phone, mixer, refridgerator, TV, fan ! they have become such an essential part of our life !

And now we are doing an active research on 'Robots' and getting our work done through them ... and not only that ! We want to give Robots emotions ! we want to make them human beings or should I say just like us ... U know what, its all fine to some extent where things which are impossible for a human being such as sustaining the several 1000 degree atmosphere or some ultra-prefection for a surgery etc. But for day to day use ? I dont think we need help of Robots for driving a car, making a cup of tea or washing clothes etc... ppl say we can always use some servants. My question is who is the servant here ? Arent we becoming the servants of these machines ?

And we all know this fact but just cant resist some luxury offered to us ... Luxury and getting work done faster and with lesser efforts, has always been the focus from the beginning ... I know what u r saying right now. This is how we develop and need is the mother of invention and so this is all happening for good etc etc ..
but how much comfort do we want ? is there an end to that ?

In fact I sometimes feel that, entity - whom we call God - has created Robots (us - human beings) and we are trying to do the same ... just mimicking Him without our knowledge ... Isnt it a human tendency to mimick ? right .. just like that ... we are trying to take over this world in one way or the other ... we consider this world to be ours completely ... Same way why cant robots try to do the same ? especially since we are trying to make them just like us ?

Here is the million dollar important question ... Do we know everything there is to know about human beings ? about our own body, our own emotions .. our dreams / nightmares ? where they come from etc ? There are millions of things that we dont know yet about ourselves ... then is it wise to think about creating another one just like us ? is it ? what if the experiment fails ? Do we know what repurcussions can it have ? do we have a 'plan B' ?


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home