Saturday, March 25, 2006

What is your biggest weakness ?


This is probably the most difficult non-technical question you will face in an interview ... "What is your biggest weakness" ... The answer has to sound like a weakness but at the same time should not prove to be a big weakness for the job .. You can not be too honest and start listing your weaknesses but at the same time you can not take this questions lightly and just shrug it off saying I dont have any weakness (remember Aamir Khan in DCH, 'buraiyaan aur mujhme ? kya baat kar rahi ho ?' ) ...

I have seen quite a few monotonous and always used answers like "I work too hard or I am a perfectionist " .. these answers are so not proper these days as interviewers already know them & they have heard them so many times that they just dont want to hear it again .. so its quite a trick .. many sites I found say that you have to state a weakness but then put it positively and it should ultimately come out as your strength ... If you ask me, I dont buy that .. at least not when I am an interviewer and I am asking this question to someone ... You know what I would look for is an honest answer within limits !

Whats the right answer ? I dont know !! I guess it also depends on your own personality, the work environment and the situation and many other things .. When I was preparing for my interviews, I was once asked these couple of questions :

"Whats your biggest strength ? " and then "Whats your biggest weakness ? " .., I swear to god I once even felt answering them like this :

"Whats your biggest strength ?"
"My biggest strength is that I know my weaknesses"

"Whats your biggest weakness ?"
"My biggest weakness is that I dont know my strengths"

what say ? Good enough answer for an advertizing job where they r looking for your creativity :))

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Aniruddha said...

Thanks Andy !

3/25/2006 11:40:00 PM  
Blogger Mitesh said...

How about my biggest weakness is "I cant answer such question in an interview".

3/27/2006 07:31:00 AM  
Blogger Aniruddha said...

lol vasa ... thats a good answer too!

3/27/2006 08:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ani....
This is Anand (saw your blog link from a friends friend's orkut profile)
That was a really smart answer..if I were the interviewer I would have surely hired u.
so how was the outcome of that interview then?
Cheers!
Anand

4/03/2006 06:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Anand,

Thanks man .. Thanks for the encouragement ! But I did not actually answer that .. could be risky u know ! but I am now working for Microsoft in Seattle ..

Ani.

4/04/2006 12:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He he he... Nice answers! You know the 'weakness' question has stumped me too. But I guess being honest has worked for me so far :)
~ Anagha.

5/30/2006 11:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home