Monday, December 11, 2006

To Be or Not To Be !

It was a two lane road and I was in the car waiting in the left lane at this red signal - The road was gonna become a one-way road in the opposite direction after this signal and so left turn was only for turning left and right lane for turning right ... In fact the light in front of me clearly said 'Left Only' for my left lane ...

The problem was that I wanted to take a 'U turn ... I mean there was enough space for me to take a 'U' turn ! and especially my small & cute 350z didnt need much space, it could fit anywhere very easily ... so my point was that I would quickly take a 'U' turna and no one would notice ... plus normally in US, if the 'U' turn at some point is NOT allowed, they put a board right there saying 'NO U TURN' ... there was no such board ! so according to that logic, 'U-turn' was plausible ...

Right when the signal was about to turn green, I noticed a 'cop' car standing right in front of me in the opposite direction facing me for their signal to turn green - and I was like, well in general circumstances, I would not even think twice before taking a U turn here but now, why invite trouble right ? I mean, its just plain stupid to take a U turn in front of the cop !! Who knows, may be it is legal, maybe its not !! why find it out the hard way right ? Also, its the end of thr year time ... I have heard, cops also have certain money-quotas to fill up per year and if they are far from that quota, they are on high-alert around the year-end time ! With a sportscar, I am anyway their favourite target !

so I took a left turn instead, went into a shopping complex and took one more left turn then right turn and I accomplished exactly the same thing ... of course wasted(?) a few extra minutes in doing that but definitely saved some bucks ... then I started thinking, just a mere presence of a cop made all that difference in my thinking ... I mean, I should be responsible driver enough to do the right thing irrespective of whether there is a cop or not ! right ? why was cop's presence, just a mere thought that I am being watched changed my thinking ? I was with a friend that time and discussed with him and he also accepted that he'z done similar things many times ... and I am pretty sure we bend the laws or should I say we interprete them the way we like them ... its like we see/hear what we want to see/hear ... but its not the right approach ... definitely not .. we may get away with it a few times but not always ... and its not just for the cop - its about for being a better driver & a better person ...

I think I am a better driver now - not only in terms of driving abilities (I think I always did well on that front ;) ) but in terms of being a law abiding driver ... are you ?

p.s. But believe me it is a kind of a shame to abide by every law (especially the speed limits) with a sports car with 300 hp !! Its tough but I am trying hard :) lets see how far I go !

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home